August 20, 2013

random happenings

The other day I had fed the kids breakfast already and hadn't gotten around to eating myself, so I asked Eva what I should make.
Eva "Applesauce" - I've never been a big fan of applesauce.
Me "What else?"
Eva "Chocolate" - this is why she and I get along so well :)
Me "Okay...anything else?"
Eva "Yogurt"
Me "I had some yogurt already, what else should I have?"
Eva "Frosting" - I just love this girl

So lately, I feel like I'm going crazy. If it's not work it's family, if it's not family it's personal, if it's not personal it's work...it's a vicious cycle of stress, fast food, chocolate, and occasional crying and yelling. My poor husband sure puts up with a lot. He's been so great. Both he and I have been under a lot of stress. He handles it by throwing himself into work (ironically enough that's where about half of his stress comes from...at least in my eyes.) I handle it by binge eating, crying, or talking about it. Neither approach seems all that healthy.

Hmmm...I'll have to put that on my "to-do" list. "Find a healthier way of dealing with stress." Let's be honest though, who would rather run than eat chocolate chip cookies? Not me.

We are planning Jack's baptism. He is going to be baptized on the 31st. He is so very excited. This is a whole new experience for my husband and I. I for one didn't think I'd be at this point for at least 8 years, but here I am 5 months after getting married and planning a baptism. It's going to be a quiet celebration with mostly family.

One thing I've thought about lately is how mature my kids are. I wish I could help them be more relaxed. They worry too much about things that most adults don't worry about. They have experienced more loss and heartache than is fair. My only hope is that I can encourage them to have fun, be a kid, make mistakes, and get dirty. (Even though I got upset with the girls for playing in the dirt today...they just had baths.) Jack is constantly worrying about and looking out for his sisters. Which is fantastic, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure my older brothers didn't do that. But he's only 8, and I just want him to have fun. To be oblivious to what's going on and not worry about life. They are amazing kids and I'm so blessed to have them in my life.

One recommendation: have a pillow fight this week. (The huge floor pillows are great for this.) We have had a family pillow fight on the past couple Sunday's after church. The big pillows knock over the kids...Matt and I may or may not do it on purpose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment