June 29, 2013

shock & awe

Today is Saturday. Every other Saturday is a visitation day for the kids, this just happens to be the "other" Saturday. I didn't get home until she was leaving. The girls had painted nails, Emma had curled hair and make-up on, and Eva had new jewelry. Jack got nothing. She is the "fun" mom, while I receive the joy of being the one to teach, scold, cook, clean, and train them. It is a joy...but they have a skewed view of what a mother does and is; so sometimes when I reprimand or correct them they have a hard time with it.

Their birth mother (that's what Emma has been calling her, it's kind of sad) does not realize how much psychological and emotional damage she has inflicted on them. I'm constantly having to wonder if the way they're reacting is because of something they've experienced before. I can't comprehend the full scope of the hurt they've endured, and it breaks my heart to think about.

With how drastically my life has changed in the past year, it's no wonder that I sometimes get a little emotional. (At least that's what I'm telling myself.) I am realizing that I really miss my friends. I have no one close by that I can just talk to, about anything and nothing. At work I have employees who would love to buddy up to me, but that's inappropriate in my position. At home I have my wonderful husband who listens and puts up with a lot, but sometimes I need someone who isn't so wrapped up in me. Who can be an impartial listener and not always try to fix things. :) I sure do love him.

Here are some helpful resources for beginning the journey of a step-family, dealing with an ex, and other "fun" things:
Helpful Strategies to Deal With Ex-Partners in Remarriage 
Managing Stress in Step-Families
Developing Strengths in Step-Families
Focus on the Family: Blended Families

No comments:

Post a Comment