May 22, 2013

and it begins...

My husband, Matt, and I met in November of 2012. I had just moved to Portland, OR from Northern Utah in October to accept a job promotion. I was 26 and eager to find the right man to marry after a series of failed relationships. Growing up in an LDS family, marriage was always a goal. I had been married before, when I was 19 to a man who was a drug addict and abusive. That marriage ended before I turned 20.
Matt and I met online...I NEVER imagined that happening to me. But, thank goodness it did. :) We met in person a week after exchanging 3-4 emails a day. We ended up talking for 3 hours that night, and only stopped because I had to work early the next day. We saw each other 4 times that week, and talked on the phone every night. It wasn't long before we were seeing each other every day. He had told me that he didn't want to introduce a woman to his kids until they were serious. When I met them, it was love at first sight.
Matt had been married before to a woman who was a drug addict and abusive. They were married for 3 years and had 2 kids. His oldest (Jack) is not biologically his; emotionally, psychologically, and physically he is. Matt fully took on the responsibility of being a father when he met and married his ex-wife. As his marriage went on, they had two more children, Emma and Eva. Both girls were addicted to prescription drugs at birth because of their mother. Thankfully, neither one has shown any effects of that years down the road. My husband divorced his ex after Eva was born when he realized that his wife would never change her ways. He set out on the difficult road of single parenthood with 3 kids to care for.
Now after being married for almost 2 months my grand illusions of being a picture perfect family have been put to rest. I never thought parenting was easy, but I come from a large family (6 siblings and 17 nieces and nephews) so I thought it would be a little easier for me. I did not fully consider what the kids had been through in the past, living with them, caring for them, working full time outside of the home, helping my husband start his business, grocery shopping, laundry, vacuuming...and everything else that comes with having a home and a family.
This blog is a way for me to express my frustrations with myself, the joys, the tears, and everything else in between. Hopefully in the end it might help other people embarking on the journey of being a step-parent. One thing I know for sure, parenting in ANY form; single, working, stay-at-home, or step is NEVER easy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie,
    It is Stacy Burrup, formally known as Sister Crosland. Congrats again on your marriage! Those kids are lucky to have you! What a blessing.. If you want to follow my blog it is jsburrupfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete