July 25, 2013

marriage advice...what to do

Twice a year The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds a world wide broadcast called General Conference. Millions of people across the globe listen in April and October to the messages of living prophets and apostles of God.

This past week I have been listening to the April 2013 General Conference on CD while I drive to and from work. A couple of the talks have really stuck with me. The first one goes a long with one of my posts from last week, "families are forever".

Given by Elder L. Whitney Clayton of the Presidency of the Seventy, the talk is titled Marriage: Watch and Learn. Here are some highlights:
  • The best marriage partners regard their marriages as priceless.
  • Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the foundation of happy eternal marriages.
  • Repentance and humility build happy marriages.
  • Terrific marriages are completely respectful, transparent, and loyal.
  • Successful couples love each other with complete devotion.
I love how simple he makes it. The world see's marriage as something that can be discarded if it becomes a nuisance or too hard. God does not see it this way. Marriage is ordained of God. Adam was told that man should cleave unto his wife. It has been this way from the very beginning.

Some might think of me as a hypocrite considering I have been divorced. There are of course cases where it is appropriate for a divorce to occur. My first husband was physically, emotionally, and verbally abusive. That experience taught me many lessons that have helped mold me into the woman I am today. I am able to appreciate my circumstances better than I would if I hadn't gone through a divorce. My husband is an amazing man who helps me be a better person. I am continually in awe of how hard he works and how much he loves me.

A happy marriage is possible, but it takes hard work. Anything worth having is worth working for.

If you would like to see the full text of the talk, click the link below.
Marriage: Watch and Learn

No comments:

Post a Comment